In this document we provide step by step guidance to implementing a health surveillance programme in your work place.
The purpose of health surveillance is to:
- Detect ill health at an early stage, allowing for better controls to be implemented to prevent it getting worse.
- Provide data to help evaluate risks and control measures.
- Enable employees to raise concerns about their health and work.
- Reinforce training and education of employees on the impact of health effects of work and use of personal protective equipment.
We look at the following steps:
- What are the hazards?
- Do I need health surveillance?
- What health surveillance do I need?
- What is a health risk matrix?
- Frequency for carrying out health surveillance.
- Read case studies.
- Checklist for ensuring competent health surveillance provision.
- What feedback do I need?
- What else do I need to think about?
- How can we help?